I am mainly self-taught.
I try to offer something different in my view of the world and I enjoy doing so. I convey the world as it looks to me. The way a house or an alley or a bridge looks in a certain light, the feeling it invokes today that it didn't yesterday.
I don't see the point in taking the same pictures as other people.
Sometimes I try to tell a story, sometimes I just capture single images.
Every photograph is a construct. There's always bits out of frame that change the meaning. Knowing which bits to put in - or leave out - is the hard part.
I'm interested in places, buildings and people. Experimenting with light and shade; inviting the viewer to consider that what they are seeing versus what was actually happening. The notion that what I'm photographing is an idea or a feeling I have about that place at that moment. Taking you through the looking glass to a different world, one that that you can sense but can't always see.
Some places I'll revisit to get the shot I want or to expand what I have. But some places I go to once and I'm happy with what I capture. I don't think the former necessarily delivers better pictures than the latter. It's just pictures you hope to get versus ones you've already got.
I'm always learning.
I like projects to run and run as the subject itself develops.
I work in short bursts rather than regular, long spells.
I want to take pictures that people look at again and again; to find their own meaning or to appreciate mine.
EXHIBITIONS FEATURED IN:
- WORLD OF GLASS, ST HELENS, NOV-JAN 2008: 'MOVEMENT’
- RENNIES ARTS GALLERY, ST HELENS: MIXED EXHIBITION, APRIL 2008 -JULY 2008: ‘LANDSCAPES’
- ROAM THE ROWS FESTIVAL, CHESTER, JULY 2008: ‘THE LIFE OF THE ROWS’
- GODFREY PILKINGTON ART GALLERY, ST HELENS. JULY 2008: ST HELENS OPEN’
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL: MIXED EXHIBITION, DEC-JAN 2009: ‘WINTER BLUES 3’
- RENNIES ART GALLERY, ST HELENS, DEC-JAN 2009: ‘SHADOWS’
- IDEA GENERATION GALLERY, LONDON, MARCH 2009 :‘RENAISSANCE 2009 PRIZE’ (SHORTLISTED)
- GODFREY PILKINGTON ART GALLERY, ST HELENS, APRIL-MAY 2009: ‘LOCATION’
- NEXUS ART CAFE, MANCHESTER, APRIL 2009: 'OPEN'
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. MAY 2009: ‘SHORT SPRING OPEN’ (GROUP)
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. JULY - AUGUST 2009: ‘PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY’
- CUBE GALLERY, MANCHESTER. JULY - AUGUST 2009: ‘CAPTURE MANCHESTER’
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. NOVEMBER 2009: 'ESCAPE THE FRAME'
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. DECEMBER - JANUARY 2010: 'WINTER BLUES 4'.
- GODFREY PILKINGTON ART GALLERY, ST HELENS: DECEMBER - JANUARY 2010. 'ST HELENS OPEN ART'.
- COLLAGE AT GOSTINS, LIVERPOOL: MAY - JUNE 2010.
(AS PART OF LIVERPOOLGALLERY.COM GROUP EXHIBITION.)
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. OCT - NOV 2010: 'TWENTY TEN - INDEPENDENTS BIENNIAL 2010/LONG NIGHT 2010.
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. JAN 2011: 'OPEN SPACE'.
- CUC LIVERPOOL/THRESHOLD FESTIVAL. FEBURARY 2011: (PART 1) CUC (PART 2) EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. 'TWINNED'
- THE GALLERY, LIVERPOOL. SEPTEMBER 2011 (PART OF LIVERPOOLGALLERY.COM EXHIBITION).
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL .OCTOBER TO NOVEMBER 2011: 'THE LOMO SHOW'.
- CAMP AND FURNACE/THRESHOLD FESTIVAL. FEBURARY 2012: (PART 1) CAMP AND FURNACE (PART 2) EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. 'TWINNED 2012'.
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. APRIL/MAY 2012: SPRING OPEN /LIGHT NIGHT 2012.
- EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. OCT/NOV 2012: LIVERPOOL BIENNIAL INDEPENDENTS: 'BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS'.
- OPEN EYE GALLERY, LIVERPOOL: DEC 2012. 'SLIDEJAM'
-EGGSPACE, LIVERPOOL. OCT 2014: LIVERPOOL BIENNIAL INDEPENDENTS: 'SOMEWHERE ELSE'.
- LCB, LIVERPOOL. MARCH 2015: THRESHOLD FESTIVAL V: 'CONTRASTING GEOMTERIES'.
- VARIOUS UK VENUES: 2016/17. CREATIVE FUTURE: 'TIGHT MODERN'
'CAPTURE MANCHESTER' 2009
- 'LETTERPOOL' 2009
- THE GUARDIAN - 'WEEKEND' JULY 2009
- 'PRACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHY' MAY 2011
- THE CARAVAN GALLERY - 'OTHER PEOPLE'S PICTURES' 2011.
I have also had my images featured in The Guardian and The Telegraph, as well as Demotix Images and Newzulu agency.